SunSmart & Barkly Street Uniting CCC
It is extremely important that as a club we encourage all participants and spectators to be SunSmart. Your health and well being is of the utmost importance to us as we are well aware of the high skin cancer rates in Australia, in fact the highest rate in the world. It is therefore why we recommend all participants and spectators to be SunSmart.
SunSmart encourages and promotes sun protection in sports and recreational activities where participants and spectators are at risk of skin damage from exposure to the sun.
For the best protection against UV radiation:
- Slip on some sun protective clothing – that covers as much skin as possible.
- Slop on SPF30+ sunscreen – make sure it is broad spectrum and water resistant. Put it on 20 minutes before you go outdoors and every two hours afterwards. Sunscreen should never be used to extend the time you spend in the sun.
- Slap on a hat – that protects your face, head, necks and ears.
- Seek shade.
- Slide on some sunglasses – make sure they meet Australian Standards.
Where possible, schedule outdoor events and training times outside of the hours of 11 am and 3 pm (Daylight Savings Time). Sixty per cent of the day’s UV radiation occurs between these hours.
The club will maximise the use of natural shade provided from buildings, trees, and other structures. Where natural shade does not exist, the club will provide shade structures available from the clubrooms for use by officials, spectators and players. Individuals will also be encouraged to bring their own shade structures to club events.
The club will promote or supply participants and officials with sun protective clothing as part of the uniform. This will include:
- Shirts or playing tops which have long sleeves and a collar
- Wide brimmed or legionnaires hats whenever practical
- Sunglasses to protect the eyes.
SPF 30+ sunscreens will be promoted and provided by the club. Prior to training or playing in peak UV periods, players and participants will be encouraged to apply sunscreen to exposed body parts.
We encourage all parents to ensure that their children are well protected by SPF30+sunscreen and to wear a hat whilst playing or watching. Again all teams have sunscreen available so please ask if you do not have or need to re-apply sunscreen.
We are eager to promote SunSmart with all players especially junior who are given a wide brimmed club hat as well as a club cap as part of their membership fees.
Sports and recreation clubs should make the most of natural and built shade so that spectators are comfortable and protected from the sun’s harmful UV rays.